Sunday, January 23, 2011

Temptation

Oh boy what a week I have had. I weighed in Friday morning the scale told me I lost 7 lbs from last Saturday. Man was I excited. The change in my eating habits have paid off quick!

But then there is that terrible, terrible temptation. Really my first real temptation of the week came on Thursday morning. I had taken Vanessa to work and was stopping at QT to grab some coffee. I accidentally walked by the donuts. Oh man. I was by myself and hungry and saw no reason why I shouldn't indulge in the doughy, glazed goodness. Then I thought about the reasons why I was doing what I'm doing. I don't want to feel this way anymore. I want to be healthy when my kids are growing up. I want to be able to go play in the yard without getting tired. I don't want to end up with weight related health issues for the rest of my life. So instead of just starving myself, I decided to find a healthier option in the store. I grabbed a South Beach Diet Peanut Butter Meal Bar. It was really tasty and filled me up nicely.

It felt good to have ignored the temptation of grabbing a yummy donut. Not saying that I won't eat a donut, because I have actually (unfortunately) had 2 today. I will talk more about the weekend further down. But on that day, at that time, I was happy to have said no to the temptation of a donut.

My second temptation came in the second day when Vanessa's boss asked me to grab them some food from Taco Bell for lunch. I hadn't eaten lunch yet and I love a good burrito from Taco Bell. But I resisted and felt better because of it. Went home and had my turkey burger and spinach and felt good about it.

I ate good every day this week. Then the weekend happened. I find it very difficult to eat very good on the weekends because of the fact that we are always on the move. Saturday I had Taco Bueno, but was able to semi decent there by getting stuff off of their new Bueno Choice menu. Plus I tried this new thing of counting to 20 or 30 between each bite. It totally worked! By the end of a small soft taco and a burrito, I was stuffed! Saturday night some old friends came into town and we went to Bros Houligan. Wasn't able to eat too healthy there. Then I had Mazzio's for Sunday lunch and breakfast foods for dinner tonight. Not very healthy at all.

Here's why I sort of okay with this weekend. I know you are probably thinking that no matter where I go I can get a healthy salad or the salad bar. Yes probably. But honestly I don't feel bad about what I am doing. I don't see it as cheating. I am still eating considerably less than I have in the past. I am staying under my calories. I feel fine. I am not going crazy on the weekend. I am able to eat whatever I want, just controlling the portions.

Annnnyways. This was a really long post.

If you have read this far kudos to you. Thanks and please come back!

Mike

4 comments:

  1. Keep up the the good and hard work of getting healthy Mike. You WILL find that sometimes the choices get easier to make but an occasional higher calorie meal is ok when balanced with an overall healthy diet. I am proud of you Mike!!! Lola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are so motivated and hopefully, knowing that many friends are behind your new healthier choices, will continue to motivate you. (Still waiting on those t-shirts for your quilt...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it going homie. Just keep in mind that the choices you make during the weekend will develop a habit, its definitely harder to eat healthy but if you remember the lbs that could be lost during that time it will only speed up achieving your goal. Stay motivated, you are making amazing progress in such a short amount of time, dont be satisfied, keep challenging yourself. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa - As soon as I lose all this weight, I will get all the shirts that don't fit to you and make me a quilt.

    Lori and chris - appreciate the support. it's one of the things that makes it all easier.

    ReplyDelete